Thursday, June 18, 2009

Nature Journal

I've mentioned before that I love old books. A couple weeks ago, while browsing through an antique store, I found a book that I couldn't pass up. It was only published 32 years ago, in 1977. But the content of the book is a color facsimile of an English woman's nature journal from 1906.

The book, entitled "The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady", chronicles one year's worth of nature observations, seasonal quotations, and drawings by Edith Holden. Her journal was passed down through her family, and eventually published.





Her handwriting is beautiful, and her water-colored drawings are absolutely amazing. Take a look.










(a winter bird feeder)


(the artist and author, Edith Holden)

I sure wish I could draw like that. And I wish I had that much of a variety of nature within a close proximity to my house to observe daily . . . Beautiful.

No comments: