Friday, May 28, 2010

Texas Caviar
















It's one of my favorite things to make and eat in the summertime!  I don't know why it's called Texas Caviar. Did it originate in Texas?  Do they eat it in Texas?  Is it supposed to be the common person's "caviar"?  All I know is that it's good!

You'll find many variations of this on-line, but this is my personal favorite, originally found on Allrecipes.com and adapted slightly to my taste.

2 (15 - 16 oz.) cans black-eyed peas, drained & rinsed
1 green pepper, diced
2 yellow, red, or orange sweet peppers, diced
2 med. tomatoes, diced
1 sm. onion, diced
4 green onions, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded & minced
1/4 c. fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 - 1 c. fresh or frozen corn

Dressing:
4 Tb. olive oil
3 Tb. red wine vinegar or lime juice
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp. cumin

Mix all ingredients with dressing.  Chill at least 2 hours.  Serve with tortilla chips. 

You can also substitute any type of Italian Salad Dressing for the above dressing.  For some reason, I like it best when I use a combination of both the above dressing recipe plus about 1/4 - 1/3 c. of Italian Dressing.  Some recipes call for even more vinegar, but I am not a vinegar lover so I just use lime juice.

When I have it around, I love to mix in some chopped avocado, just before serving. You wouldn't want to add the avocado ahead of time or it will get mushy.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Sara K. said...

Wow! That looks really good! My husband makes a delicious pico de gallo... but I'll bet he'd love this Texas caviar! (And yes, an odd name indeed!)

Mom said...

You know me and peppers. This would be good without any peppers! I could add cucumber instead. :)

It looks really nice for a picture though.

Delishhh said...

I love that title! :)

Maisy said...

This looks GREAT!

Mom said...

Just saw this again! Looks really good - again! I have forgotten about it, but have bookmarked it now for next year in the warmer weather. Miss you on here.... <3