Friday, May 21, 2010

Homemade Freezer Jam

If you've never tried making your own jam because you're kind of afraid of the whole canning process (like me), you should try freezer jam.  It's so easy, and the jam tastes incredibly fresh because the fruit has not been cooked.  And, no high fructose corn syrup, preservatives, or artificial coloring or flavorings to be found!  All you need is:

Certo fruit pectin





















A bunch of fresh fruit, plus sugar, lemon juice, and water






















And when you're done, you have lots of these

















Strawberry is my boys' favorite, so that's the only kind I've made so far. I plan to make blueberry later this summer.

(the photographer in me feels compelled to mention that these pictures were taken with my old camera. My new camera takes much better indoor pictures!)

3 comments:

Mom said...

I don't know how these pictures could be any better with your new camera.
And, YES, this jam is very delicious!! Thank you for giving us some. :)
Love, Mom

Sara K. said...

We used to have a TON of raspberry bushes and not a whole lot of things to do with the produce. I have thought about making jam -- but as you said, the canning process is intimidating! Thanks for suggesting this fruit pectin -- we'll have to give it a try this summer!

So, are those strawberries from your own garden?

And, where did you get the plastic lids for your jars? I've been looking for some!

Chris said...

Sara - I wish those strawberries were from my own garden! But they were just from the grocery store.

Those white plastic lids are made by Ball - just like the canning jars. These lids can be used instead of those metal 2-piece lids if you're not canning. I love them! You should be able to find them in stores by the canning supplies.