Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I Think I Need Purse Therapy

WHAT IS IT with purses these days??

I've been looking for a new purse for a few months; casually at first, when ever I happened to be around them, and more purposefully for at least 3 weeks now.

All I want is a mid-size purse that I can put over my shoulder. And I've discovered that the placement of the straps helps keep it ON your shoulder, not falling off; so the strap is fairly important. Otherwise, I would kind of like something colorful for spring/summer. That's it! Is that too much to ask? Apparently, it is!

I'll find one that's a style or shape I like, but the handles/straps are too short. Another one has the perfect straps, but it's way too big (I'm looking for a purse, not luggage). Another is about 2 feet wide but only 3 inches tall. Or it's too expensive. Or it's so cheaply made it doesn't look like it will last a month. Or it's only available in plain black or plain brown, which I'm tired of. Or the straps are way too long. Or it has about 100 huge buckles on it.

I've actually bought 2 purses, brought them home, but changed my mind by the next day and returned them. Today I even looked at purses WITH all 3 of my boys, because we were in a store I hadn't checked at yet.

It's madness, I tell you!

I just had to get that off my chest! Thanks for listening!

4 comments:

Mom said...

You are welcome! (-for listening..) This is so cute! I have been in a similar situation, but definitely not to the extreme that you have! :) Good Luck!!

Lynn said...

Hope you feel better now that you got that off your chest, Chris! :) I agree, it's not that easy to find a just-right purse. A couple years ago, I heard from a fashionista that you should look for a purse that's opposite of your shape; so if you tend to be on the "round" side, a boxy shape works better, and if you tend more to the "stick" shape, a rounder purse is better. She also said your purse should not end right at your hip, since that is the widest part on a woman's body, but rather a little higher, more at the waist. Now that I'm armed with all this information, it's harder than ever to find that just-right purse!!

Nancy said...

Too funny. I caught myself looking at purses today with the boys too!

I'm not sure what I'm looking for, but I just wanted something compact and fun for summer. I like Lynn's tips. I'll have to keep those in mind.

Chris said...

Lynn - I've heard that advice before too, about the purse not hanging right at your hip. My current purse hangs just above my waist, which is more comfortable too. I'd never heard about the shape issue. I guess I should be looking for a boxy shape!

A tip about straps - if there are 2 straps that hang from both sides, it tends to fall of your should more. Look for a purse with one strap that goes from end to end - if that makes sense.

Nancy, that's funny that you were looking with your boys too! Were they helpful?! My oldest actually said the one I was looking at wasn't "me"!