Monday, November 23, 2009

Gluten-Free Bread & Muffin Mix Reviews

Both my youngest son and I have sensitivities to wheat, so we try not to eat it as much as possible. Aaron gets eczema, and I can feel achy, sluggish, and "brain fog" if I eat too much wheat.

I also feel better if I limit carbohydrates in general, so I haven't tried too many wheat substitutions - I just don't eat flour-based foods for the most part. But for Aaron, whom we've been eliminating wheat for only a couple months, has a harder time not being able to eat things he's used to - especially bread, crackers, pretzels, and baked goods like cookies and muffins.

We have found one type of bread that we both like. It's made by Sami's Bakery (www.samisbakery.com). It's a little dry compared to regular wheat bread, but far better texture and flavor than others we've tried. The particular basic bread type our local health food store carries is the Millet & Flax loaf bread, but I see on Sami's website that they have many others types of products also. Our store keeps the bread frozen, as it is shipped from FL. I just noticed on the website that you can order directly from them, at a cheaper price than it is at our local health food store. hmmmm . . . I'll have to think about that.

Today we tried the "Gluten-Free Pantry" brand of muffin & scone mix. We made blueberry muffins with it, using frozen blueberries. In addition to the directions, I added about 1/4 cup of oats for more texture and 1/2 tsp. almond extract. They turned out great; and we also loved the extra flavor of the almond extract. We'll definitely use this mix again, and try some other their other mixes. (www.glutenfree.com).

Sometime soon, I'm planning to compare some all-purpose gluten/wheat-free baking mixes.

1 comment:

Maisy said...

Very cool! It's hard to find gluten-free products that one likes. Blueberry muffins sound WONDERFUL! lol