Monday, November 16, 2009

Sleepy Improvement



I'm so glad I was able to get out and enjoy and photograph the beautiful fall colors in late October; before all the leaves fell, and before I got "sick" again. Because since then, I've pretty much been here, at home.

The good news is that a week ago, my doctor prescribed an additional medication because I wasn't seeing any improvement, and I was losing my ability to cope. The new medication took most of my anxiety and depression away in about ONE day! One day! What a relief and answer to prayer, because I literally felt like I'd been hanging on by the very last thread, which was about to snap.

The main side effect of this medication however, is that it very calming. Sedating is probably the more accurate word. After so much anxiety and inability to relax and desperation, I welcomed sedating with open arms!

So, my past week has somewhat resembled the schedule of a 3 month old baby - wake up, take medication, eat breakfast, do a few things until med. starts to knock me out. Sleep for 1 - 2 hours, wake up, "play" a little, take medication, eat, then sleep again. I take the medication 3 times a day, at meal times. At first, I would feel the effects of the medication within 20 - 30 minutes, and then sleep soundly for at least 2 hours. As the week's progressed, I am usually awake for at least 1 hour before needing to head to bed. And my naps have become a little shorter too.

This sedation effect is supposed to go away eventually, for which I will be glad so I can function a little more normally. Our oldest 2 boys left last Tuesday with my parents for a trip down to TN to see my sister and her family. So we've only had Aaron home. But you can't leave a 5 (almost 6) year old on his own each morning and afternoon while you're sound asleep for 2 hours. S0 we've had to ask for some help with him. How thankful we are for friends who have been able to watch and entertain him. And Wednesday, grandparents and big brothers will be back, so Aaron won't have to be shuffled around.

And for now, I need to go sleep, I'm getting tired of having to correct typos every other word!

No comments: